Thursday, May 04, 2006

Turning a new page in my life

I just signed the lease on an apartment. It is a 2 bedroom unit close to work and my son. This is a good thing and will definitely not only turn a new page, but hell it's going to start a whole new chapter in my life!

The best thing is that I will get to spend more time with my son as I will now be close enough for him to stay overnight for visitation 2 nights a week. Yep, I am an involved dad who enjoys what the state calls 'robust' visitation.

However this enters into new unchartered territory as I have never previously lived on my own before.

I know, how is it that a 42 year old guy has never lived on his own? Easy, after high school I went to a local college and lived at home. When I was in the service I lived in barracks with 45 other guys. After returning from the service I lived at home with the family until I met my ex-wife. I married at age 22 and separated from my ex at age 40. I moved out the day she attacked me and with no place else to go moved back in with family. Finally I am moving into my own place and living on my own.....

and you know what?....... It scares the hell out of me.

I will be doing what most people do when they are 20 years younger. I know that everything will be fine and everyone tells me that I will enjoy it and I am sure that after the first few weeks that I will, but right now it's the unknown.

The other good thing that can come out of this is dating. It's really hard to date when you are divorced and living with family. Although a lot (literally a ton) of people are in the same situation, and understandably so, there is still a stigma attached to being older than 25 and living with family.

You know if I am going to be doing things that people do in thier 20's it would be nice if I had the body I had in my 20's!

I know, small steps...

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

You will love it. Good luck!

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home