Monday, April 03, 2006

I wonder why I drink...

Ok, let me preface this by saying that I do not have a drinking problem. If you have read this site before you know that I enjoy a good scotch now and then as well as the occasional sherry before bed after a lonnnnng day. Well, this weekend had some 'longevity'.......

Friday afternoon I picked up my son for the weekend. While driving home the doctors office called and said that my sons test came back positive for Strep so he spent the weekend relaxing and laying around taking antibiotics.

My folks drove my sister and her boys to the airport as she was headed back home to Idaho on Friday. When my folks returned from the airport, my mom was hunched over saying that she hurt her back carrying the car seat with the baby through the airport. So she was in pain and hunched over all weekend.

My dad was fighting strep or bronchitis and coughing all weekend. He was on antibiotics as well.

Saturday morning my grandmother calls to say that my grandfather fell out of his wheelchair at the nursing home and hit his head either on the floor or the wall heater. He and his roommate called for assitance for an hour before someone came to get him off the floor. Being that my mom was slowly walking around the house and looking like a pretzel I went with my dad to the nursing home.

My grandfather was in his bed looking very pale and incoherent with a large bruise/ abrasion/lump on the top of his forehead. My dad and I challenged the staff as to what they were doing medically as a result of the fall and with regards to his current state. Now my grandfather is 86, has spinal stenosis and a severely degenerated hip. The nursing staff knows this as he is in constant pain. So with that being said, what was the staff doing about treatment for his injuries? They had called for an x-ray of his hip! (ok, you fall and hit your head so lets x-ray something that we already know about) So after deducing that the staff were not in any hurry to have him looked at we told them to call for transport and had him taken to the E/R. The hospital decided to admit him for a battery of tests.

By the time we got home Saturday night it was after 8:30.....

Yesterday afternoon I got an e-mail from my mom that said my dad is full blown sick, and my grandfather has pneumonia.... that just caps off the weekend...

Funny thing is that the weekend is fairly typical of the past year and a half.

Like I said, I wonder why I drink...

1 Comments:

Blogger Kemp said...

Take two bottles of scotch, and call me in the morning...

And add a cigar for good measure as a cigar a day, keeps the doctor away.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home