Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Best day of your life

I was watching city Slickers the other night and at one point in the film, the question is asked "What was the best day of your life?"

So I started thinking about that, and in keeping with the rules laid out in the film, the birth of children doesn't count as that is too easy.

The best day of my life was when I was about 7 or 8 years old. It was a summer day and my Great-Grandfather took me fishing at a place called the "Fisherman's Dude Ranch". It was a big lake in a suburb west and north of Chicago.

The property was fenced off with homes and apartments surrounding it and was along one of the main roads in the town. Besides the big lake which had your normal assortment of panfish, bass and even northern pike, they also had two or three smaller ponds. These ponds were only about 3 feet deep at the most and were stocked with trout, lots of trout, lots of hungry large (8 - 10 lbs was not unusual) trout. You rented a pole and could fish the ponds and pay by the pound for whatever fish you caught.

As a young boy these fish were absolutely huge to me. I remember putting the hook in the water (no bait needed as these fish were perpetually hungry and would nibble at your finger) and within about 3 seconds I had a bite. I pulled the fish out of the water (with help from my great grandfather and a net) and was amazed at how quick I caught this fish and the size. I wanted to do it again. My great-grandfather said that I could 'try' it one more time. So in went the hook and about 15 seconds later out came a fish. I was beside myself with pride.

The man at the counter cleaned and bagged the fish for us to take home. I remember sitting in the front passenger seat of the 1970 Oldsmobile Delta 88, the smell of the new car and the air conditioner, and talking fish tales with my great-grandfather about what I had just caught and the 'ones that got away'.

My Great-Grandfather died 26 years ago, but I will never forget that day almost 35 years ago. When a man took time on a summer day to take his great-grandson fishing.


So, what was the best day of your life? And no you cannot say the birth of your children...it's too easy. Leave a comment and share your story.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Can I say the day The Bucs won the Super Bowl? That was a pretty good day.

The day my kids were born was a terrible day. I mean - I'm glad I got them, but if I told you that was the best day of my life I would be a huge liar. Unless you are some sort of sicko that enjoys blood transfusions and mag washes - then you may have enjoyed my day.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Kemp said...

Dude, I've been trying to figure this out and can't decide. I'll get back to you on it...eventually.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

I agree with Sarah. The end result of both my "birth" days was awesome. But getting there? Definitely not the best. I won't bore you with details.

But all-round best? That's hard. Lots of "best of"s ...

Here's my most recent best day. One night last week I was telling the story of my day. New words. Funny things that happened. How naps went. I got to the end and I said, "You know what? Today was a REALLY good day."

2:30 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I just re-read what I wrote. Ack. I guess I'm definitely not City Slickers material.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Get ready folks I am going to follow up with "The Worst Day fo Your life"....

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home